Thursday, June 12, 2014

Spring, a Good Time to Start a Blog

Why start a blog?  Well, a few months ago I lost my corporate job of 27 years due to downsizing.  It was not totally unexpected, and in some ways it is a blessing, but still a major life-changing event for me.  So I am on a soul-searching mission to determine my next career.  I after a few months of endless worrying and trying to figure out my future, I decided that I need time to heal and to just let life happen.  So I am going back to my roots of spending time with my animals and nature.  They are my true passion and have always been my best teachers.  I am very fortunate to have this farm with my husband and love sharing it with others so they can experience what means so much to me.  So that is how this idea came about.  It gives me a chance to reflect, research and share.  I plan to share activities on my farm from animal care and their antics, my husband’s artwork to native plants and wildlife.  I am always open to your questions and suggestions too!

Spring is my favorite time of year. I enjoy seeing color come back to the landscape as the plants and leaves emerge.  The birds are singing, making nests and the sunlight feels so good after a long winter.  Spring brings vitality and nourishment back to my soul.

For the last few weeks I have been walking and exploring and truly enjoying this spring.  Growing up, I explored the woods surrounding my house with my dog.  I turned over rocks looking for salamanders, cleared brush from the stream, watched the wildflowers emerge, listened to the birds and followed deer trails.  I was a budding wildlife biologist.  It feels wonderful to be able to enjoy spring again after years of working in the corporate world.  I love this opportunity to tap back into that spirit I had many years ago.

So I snapped pictures as I traveled on the trails of our farm.  Like the “old days”, I often drag my dogs along with me and now I have goats to follow along side of me too.  It was fun to keep tabs on the nesting boxes, time to identify wildflowers and bird songs, see which trees leaf out first and even watch the dreadful poison ivy sprout.  The heavy spring rains brought a surprising visit from a painted turtle, toads hanging in our mulch pile and the chorus of grey tree frogs.

Here are a few snap shots taken during my trail walks this spring:

Cody, my Australian Shepherd

Crabapple- my favorite spring blooming native tree
Close up of the flower


Noah and Nellie with the Spring Beauties

Mr. Painted Turtle
Spring Beauties, a native woodland wildflower

American Toad staying warm in our mulch pile

Woodland Phlox


Like spring I am starting a fresh new chapter in my life.  A time to refresh burned out parts from the corporate world, a time for reflection and a chance to allow new pursuits to occur. 

Thanks and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to your PICS, keep us posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so blessed to have 4 seasons! Can't wait to see your fall pictures and stories from your farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol -
    Your farm looks wonderful! I'll try to drop in from time to time from way up here in Vermont.

    ReplyDelete